The library of I. Gorbachevsky Ternopil National Medical University is an educational, scientific, informational, cultural and educational subdivision of the university, which provides information support of the educational process and scientific work, provides assistance in training highly qualified specialists-doctors. The library was established in July 1957 in accordance with the order of the rector of the Ternopil Medical Institute from June 27 № 21.
With the development of the educational institution from year to year the material and technical base of the library improved, the book fund increased, the number of employees and users grew, new departments were created, the process of computerization and automation began.
In 2005, the library was housed in a building at 8 Sichovykh Striltsiv Street.
The library has a modern reading room, which is divided into several functional zones – an area for working with documents, an Internet classroom, a sector of periodicals, a place for scientific forums, meetings, presentations. The library has a special reading room for professors and graduate students, and a room for dissertations.
After the introduction of ABIS IRBIS and bar coding of the publisher’s documents in the library is carried out in an automated mode.
The library has a catalog room, where users can get information about the availability of a publication in the library by searching in an electronic or traditional (paper) catalog. For convenience of search in the electronic catalog in a hall special search terminals are established.
The library fund of the book collection has 389,669 copies of documents. There is scientific, educational, artistic, reference and information literature. At the service of users – textbooks, manuals, multivolume encyclopedias, dictionaries, reference books, monographs, abstracts of dissertations and theses, works of domestic and foreign classics, modern writers, documents on electronic media, medical periodicals since 1957.
The highlight of the library fund of the university book collection is a collection of rare documents, which contains many unique medical publications.
The library’s local computer network connects more than 40 modern computers, most of which are provided for free user access. Visitors have the opportunity to use the Internet in the reading room. At their service – Wi-fi, Skype, access to electronic catalogs, databases of professional medical journals, e-books.
The newest channel of access to various library services and electronic resources is the university library website, which allows to provide a qualitatively new level of customer service. The reader has the opportunity to go from the home computer to the library page on the Internet and get the necessary information about the available literature, pre-print the list for the order, read the announcement of planned events, and more.
Providing free access to databases Scopus, Web of Science, HINARI, Free Medical Journals, BioMed Central, PubMed, ScienceDirect, etc. allows you to find and obtain the necessary materials, full-text articles from more than 3,000 professional foreign journals, books, compendiums, databases, including Blackwell, Elsevier Science, the Harcourt Worldwide STM Group, Wolters Kluwer International Health and Science, Springer Verlag, John Wiley.
Users have at their disposal a powerful reference and bibliographic apparatus, which consists of 8 card catalogs and 8 databases (electronic catalogs) with a total volume of more than 177,000 records.
The University Library meets the information needs of professors, graduate students and students of the institution, conducts work to promote educational, scientific and journalistic literature, encyclopedias and scientific books, dissemination of library and bibliographic and information knowledge among students.